February 7, 2008

Arbi Tandoori

My only introduction to Arbi (also known as Colocasia, Taro, Dasheen and Cocoyam) was in a Gujarati dish called Patra, where the elephant ear shaped leaves are smeared with chickpea paste and spices, then rolled and steamed to make a delicious side. It was only a few years ago that I discovered that the corm was used in Indian cooking as well. I had tasted a delicious version of chema pulusu, a tamarind based stew with Arbi, so I tried and tried to replicate it, with not much success to date. And the slimy texture of the cooked vegetable was a bit of a turn off.

Here a recipe with Arbi that I can finally say I like. The boiled arbi is coated with a yogurt and spice mixture and allowed to dry out in the oven - this coating makes the texture much less slimy, and the final stir fry with the onions and more spices brings the dish together nicely.

Arbi Tandoori
1/2 kg or 1.1lb Arbi
1 tbsp whole coriander seeds, lightly crushed
2 large onions cut into rings
1 tsp garam masala
1 1/2 tsp amchoor (dry mango) powder
4-5 green chillies, slit lengthwise
1/2" piece ginger, julienned
1 tbsp oil
Salt to taste

Marinade
1 cup thick yogurt - hung if necessary
1 tbsp tandoori masala
1 tsp ginger paste
1/2 tsp ajwain (carom seeds)
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp besan (chickpea or gram flour)
Pinch turmeric
Fresh cracked pepper to taste

1. Boil arbi in salted water until tender. Peel and cut into 3/4" pieces and flatten slightly.
2. Mix all the marinade ingredients together.
3. Preheat oven to 180C or 360F. Grease a wire rack.
4. Coat the arbi pieces with the marinade and arrange on rack. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes. The yogurt mixture should dry up and from a coating on the arbi.
5. Heat oil. Add coriander seeds and wait until golden. Add onions and cook until light brown.
6. Add arbi, garam masala, amchoor, green chilies, ginger and salt. Stir fry for a few minutes. Serve hot with roti

8 comments:

Srivalli said...

Hey another arbi version for me to try...thanks for sharing,,,this sounds so very different...is dish made by gujjus?...if so you can send this to RCI: Gujarati!..

Archana said...

Sinfully delicious recipe.The photos look great as well. I have always made this dish in the south indian style and i love it. This one is different with a tandoori touch. Thanks for sharing, will try it out next time.

Anonymous said...

The best part of chema is its sliminess. Too bad you don't appreciate it... :-)

Minti said...

Srivalli (sorry - I forgot to respond earlier). No - it's not a Gujarati dish - but I will certainly try to whip up one now...

Thanks Archana.

Anonymous (aka dear hubby) - I never said I won't keep trying to perfect the pulsu:)...

Cynthia said...

I've bookmarked this to try.

Suganya said...

I have boiled, peeled arbi in my fridge. Tomorrow this will be on the menu.

Minti said...

Cynthia and Suganya:
Nice. Let me know how it goes...

vinita said...

Can we boil and peel arbi and freeze it and make the dish later on special occasion....