January 15, 2008

Mango Papaya Salad


This Mango Papaya Salad is a refreshing addition to almost any meal. It's a great way to get something a little sweet into the meal. And what better way to get your daily fix of fruits and vegetables?!

I used to have the preconceived notion that salads are not supposed to be sweet. But after trying many delicious salads and salsas that had something sweet, I guess I had to change my mind. This salad has a bit of heat from the chillies, sweetness from the fruit and some tang from the lime juice. You could also use pineapple in place of, or in addition to any of the fruits in this recipe - it works just as well. This is my contribution to this month's A Fruit A Month (AFAM), Papaya, hosted by Nags from For the Cook In Me.


Mango Papaya Salad
1 mango, chopped
1 small papaya, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped (optional)
1/4 red onion, finely minced
1/4 habanero or 1-2 green chillies, minced
few sprigs cilantro, chopped
lime juice, to taste
salt and pepper to taste

Soak the minced red onion in cold water for 5-10 minutes to mellow out some of it's harshness. Combine all the ingredients. Taste and adjust with more lime juice, salt and pepper if needed.

6 comments:

Archana said...

I can already feel the taste of this salad. I have tried the raw papaya salad. But not the ripe ones with onions that too and green chillies. I am planning on going on a fruit diet for lunch. I think this will make another great reicpe. Thanks for sharing and also visiting my blog :)
Archana
http://www.archanaskitchen.com

Cynthia said...

This is such an exotic salad. You should try a papaya, avocado and shrimp salad, so good too.

Sagari said...

BEAUTIFUL PIC and salad recipe is very intresting

Minti said...

Thanks Sagari!

Nags said...

I am sure your entry email went into spam cuz if I had seen a stunning pic like this, I would have surely remembered. Added your entry to the round up. Great work here, Minti :)

mangalorevancouver said...

I was craving something new, and then came across this recipe. Thanks! It was absolutely delightful!

I have never eaten papaya and this salad was a great introduction for me! :)