January 12, 2008

Curried Carrot and Apple Soup

Curried Carrot and Apple Soup
I was skeptical - how could a carrot and apple soup be fun? Wouldn't it be too sweet? A closer look at the recipe* revealed just one tart apple in the whole batch, and these apples aren't overly sweet. And korma curry powder seemed interesting. I knew I could make this curry powder at home from the ingredients in my pantry. Besides, I have been smitten with the flavor of cooked tart (Granny Smith) apples recently. Cooking these apples makes them mellow and so delicious that I was surprised, and disappointed I hadn't used them sooner!

This soup was fun. Only mildly sweet, and flavorful. The combination of the fennel seeds and spices from the kurma powder paired well with the carrots. Since the familiar orange carrot is the richest vegetable source of beta carotene, I try hard to find recipes with carrots that taste good. I believe that even the most boring vegetable can shine if treated right and paired with the right ingredients. This root vegetable has a distinct aroma. It is versatile enough to play either the starring role in the dish, or merely accent the other ingredients in the dish. It is used across the board from soups (as a base ingredient in stocks, stews and soups), vegetable sides, pickles, chutneys and relishes, to desserts like carrot cake and the fudge like Gajar ka halwa. This soup is my contribution to Weekend Herb Blogging, hosted this week by Vani from Batasari.


Curried Carrot and Apple Soup
2 teaspoons oil
4 large carrots, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
2 Thai green chilies
1 tart baking apple, chopped
3-4 cups water or vegetable broth
salt and black pepper
plain yogurt and carrot curls, to garnish

Korma Curry powder:
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 tablespoon dry coconut shreds (or use fresh coconut milk or fresh frozen coconut)
1/2 teaspoon peppercorns
Dash of cinnamon, clove and cardamom powder
3 tablespoons cashew nuts or almonds


Lightly toast the ingredients for the curry powder and grind to a powder.

Heat the oil and add onions and saute until transparent. Add the curry powder and fry for 2-3 minutes. Next add the carrots and apple, stir well, then cover the pan.

Cook over very low heat for about 15 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally until softened. Spoon the vegetable mixture into a food processor or blender, then add half the broth and process until smooth.

Return to the pan and pour in the remaining broth. Bring the soup to a boil and adjust the seasoning before serving in bowls, garnish with a swirl of yogurt and a few curls of carrot.

References:
The recipe is adapted from a book called 'Soup: Superb ways with a classic dish'

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice soup

Dhivya said...

Carrots and Apples! Thats seems so different...will give this one a try :)

Anonymous said...

Just checked your site..and receipes are too good !!!

Mansi Desai said...

Thats a unique combination, and also a unique recipe:) I wonder how it tastes!!

Minti said...

Hi Mansi, Dhivya,

Yes - it is a different combo - I hesitated before giving the recipe a shot.

But there was so much korma curry powder in the soup, that it was spicy and warming (I hiccuped:). You could taste the carrots, and faintly the apples. I liked it!

Anonymous - glad you liked the recipes...

Kalyn said...

Sounds very tasty, with just the right touch of spiciness. I love fennel so anything with vegetables that has fennel, I know I'll like it.

Archana said...

Nice, but i am afraid to try it, as I might have to finish the entire thing. Not sure how my children will handle it. I guess no harm experimenting.

Unique for sure. I am thinking, it will make a great sauce for barbeque's instead of soup. What do you think. The color reminds me of a barbeque sauce.

Anyways.. look forward to seeing more interesting unique ones from you.
Archana
http://www.archanaskitchen.com

joe_ob said...

Cooking blog. Very good, excellnt in fact, thanks for sharing. I was stuck for ideas and only had fennel and carrots. I hadn't even considered apples, which I have. And curried. I'll not follow your recipe exactly, but close enough. Cheers

Bobby said...

I had some granny smith apples to get rid of and I've been loving pureed soups lately so I had to try this. I oven roasted the carrots and apples before adding them to the soup, and added a stalk of celery, some grated ginger, brown sugar, and the tiniest pinch of cayenne. The soup was FANTASTIC! Many thanks for the great recipe!
P.S. the ingredients in the korma powder smelled amazing as they toasted. definitely gonna make something with that again, the flavor was sublime