January 27, 2008

Boiled Peanuts


On the rare occasion that I find raw or green peanuts in their shells, I feel lucky. Boiled with salt, these make a deliciously addictive snack.

Peanuts are not really nuts, but legumes. They originated in South America in 2000 BCE. It wasn't until the 16th century that the Portuguese brought them to Africa, India and Asia! Isn't it almost ironic how something that only arrived a few hundred years ago has become so prominent and so integral a part of African and Asian cuisines?

In India, I have seen them being used in chutneys, spiced and roasted as a snack, or powdered and added to curries and gravies. From other cuisines, I have tried peanut soups, stews and dipping sauces. And of course, we shouldn't forget peanut butter and peanut brittle...

Peanuts are particularly susceptible to mold during storage, so check to see if your store had stored them in a cool dry place (the mold thrives in warm humid conditions).


Boiled peanuts
The recipe is simple. Cover the peanuts with water. Add plenty of salt. Taste for salt and add more as needed. The liquid should taste like sea water.

Pressure cook for 20-30 minutes or as needed. When done, the nuts should be fairly soft and the salt water should have oozed into the shells.

You can flavor small batches with additional seasonings too. I have tasted delicious Jalapeno flavored peanuts before, so this time, I made three batches: one with Habaneros, another with Red Chillies and Star Anise and the third was just plain salted peanuts.

Split the shells with your teeth so you can get the juices in your mouth. Now is not the time to be shelling them with your fingers!

This is my entry to Mansi's Game Night Party Event.

7 comments:

coco said...

I simply lovveee boiled peanuts! What is bad is that they are so darn addictive. You just can't stop eating once you've started. Now that you've got me back the memories of having these, I must go buy some soon! :)

Mansi Desai said...

If this came into my hubby's hands, no one would get a single peanut from that bowl:)

Thanks for participating Minti!!

Cynthia said...

I've never had boiled peanuts.

Archana said...

Very addictive, my mom used to make them very often. Lovely pictures, especially the last one with the juicy water. yummmmm
Archana
http://www.archanaskitchen.com

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Michael Daniel said...

go to nutsonline.com and you can order the Jumbo Green Peanuts in bulk. Thats where I get mine. I order 10 lbs at a time.